Friday 15 March 2013

Good vs Bad: UFC 158


Source: ufc.com

So this week has seen the media circus of the UFC land in Montreal, to promote the huge welterweight title fight of Georges St. Pierre against the bad boy from Stockton, California, Nick Diaz.

Both of these fighters are superb talents, and I truly mean that, but one hand, you have the company's white knight, in GSP, and the rebel without a cause on the other, in Nick Diaz.

The UFC, have found Nick Diaz to be unbearably hard to deal with in terms of doing extra curricular activities for the company, if you will. Firstly, he apparently missed the taping of his UFC Countdown segment, costing the company a reported $50,000 in equipment and personnel, for no reason. Although they did eventually get it taped. Dana said after this that Nick would be in big trouble if he pulled another stunt like this again before the fight.

Fast forward to Wednesday 13th March 2013, and the UFC is in Montreal doing an open workout for the media to cover. One problem. Nick Diaz is once again, nowhere to be seen.

Dana White stated the following about this matter:
"I literally just found out Nick Diaz did not show up for the open workouts today in Montreal....Let me tell you what, there is no shtick with this kid, I mean it's - he's just a different animal man, he's absolutely hard to deal with. If Diaz wins, you know, we are seriously going to have to have a ‘come to Jesus meeting,' you know what I mean? The guy is very, very hard to deal with, we'll see what happens. I got to tell you this, though, I leave tonight for Montreal. The press conference is tomorrow, I'm excited for the press conference and I'm definitely excited for the weigh-ins 'cause, you never know what you're going to get. Well, let me tell you what, if he does not show up tomorrow for the press conference, it is not going to be good. I don't know what I'll say or what I'm going to do, but I'll tell you what...it will not be good."

So that's the second time Dana has said "It won't be good", but will he come through on his promise? Doubtful to say the best. What are they going to do, cut him from the fight two days before it's due to happen, with the arena probably sold out? Yeah right.

But one thing has happened since he said that, Nick Diaz DID appear at the UFC press conference on Thursday 14th March. And him and Georges had some heated exchanges, both there, and on the conference call on Saturday, with Nick calling GSP out about certain things on several occasions, and especially at the press conference, you could see that Georges had had enough of all the media stuff he had been doing, as well as being fed up with Nick Diaz. Now I know for sure that Nick Diaz is in his head, as you could see from his reactions, but the question is, how will that affect 'Rush'? Will it tear his game plan apart? Or will it add fuel to the fire, and will we see GSP finally get that finish that he has been promising for so many years now?

One problem the UFC could face though, is the post fight drug test. Say Nick Diaz wins the fight on Saturday, and becomes the new welterweight champion, but then tests positive for marijuana metabolites, will the UFC still follow through on cutting him? Nick tested positive after his last fight against Carlos Condit, and while I do think it's crazy that marijuana gets you a year long ban, it is against the rules, and it is illegal. Also violating company policy twice in two fights can’t put you in the good books.

Not such a wise move there Nick, who admitted the following at the press conference:
"I think [at UFC 143] I tested for a metabolite or a nanogram, it was hardly [a trace] so I just did a little more than I did last time so, sorry if I don't pass the test, but I think it should work out. I've passed plenty of them before, unless they just weren't testing me. I wonder how much they test people around here (glancing at St. Pierre)."
This fight is clearly set up as good vs. evil, but I can't help thinking that this fight resembles 'The Dark Knight', with Nick Diaz playing The Joker, trying to get Batman to break his one and only rule. And GSP's rule, usually, is to fight with a clear head, with no emotion, to break down the fight, with a defined plan. But Diaz has been filling Georges with rage for the past week or so now, and anybody who does not watch this fight, could be missing an absolute classic.
So my advice to all of you, ORDER THE SHOW!

By Dan Lloyd (drl_nufc) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express your opinion!